Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Game Review : GTA IV Part II : The joys of Multiplayer

After almost a month or so playing GTA IV, I am still engrossed in the game and have yetto even complete the main storyline(I am at 60% plus or minus). Yet during the time when I was in training(reservist), Lil Miss Whiney fired up teh mulitplayer aspect of the game and gave me good news.

Soon I was intrigued by this part of teh game that I did not want to touch till I completed the main game. Yet when I watched how much Fun LMW was having on it, I had to give it a go.

As with any multiplayer game, you can customize your avatar. As you play the game you earn money, this money denotes the rank you are and teh more money you earn, you get higher ranks. Ranks allow you to customize your avatar even more, as in more selection of heads, bodies, and pants are unlocked, similar to Warhawk's.

Only let down in mutiplayer is the fact that it only allows up to 16 players at one time. Just imagine if it can accomadate 48 players, or even 64..... that would be mayhem at best and anarchy most of the time. Also there is the occasional lag problems where cars jump from 2 meters away or so but that is forgivable.

In multiplayer there are several modes for you to choose from from death matchs to team games like 'cops n robbers'. All of a sudden multiplayer seems like a whole other game packaged with GTA IV. You can have hours of fun just going around killing other online players are work together to do jobs while competing with rival gangs.

On top of that, you see many weirder things happening in mulitplayer than in single player, you can always expect a real life person to do something crazy. The most memorable game I had was in 'Team Mafiya work' when our team just unloaded some NPC objective and this 1 guy from tehotehr team came to where were. Instinctly all of us(4 of us in super GTs) charged towards him in 4 different directions pinning him to a building. I wondered what he was thinking when he saw the 4 cars converging towards him.

I give the multiplayer adspect of the game a solid 5 out of 5 consoles and experience will be affected by the quality and quantity of players ina single game.